Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sweet nothings.

One thing that James does really well is compliment me. A bad hair day wont go by without him telling me how beautiful I look. No matter how bloated and gross I may feel, he always finds some way to get me smiling self-consciously at his random little snippets of affection. But sometimes, he says things that are truly just sweet, and so out of the blue that I felt I should highlight the most recent one. (Those of you at my ring ceremony should remember that one although I can't for the life of me remember what he said).

Last night James and I were on the phone because he had duty, which just means that he has to stay the night on the boat. I was explaining a conversation I had been having with one of my friends here in Washington. In her situation, I felt that her husband needs to experience life without her for a few days, so that he can learn to appreciate the small things that she does for him. Like cook dinner, do laundry, clean the house etc. So, thinking that I ought to see if that logic was accurate I asked James:

"Well.. I just think that she should go visit her sister for a weekend or something. Just to let him experience life without her. I mean, if she isn't going to talk to him about it. What do you think honey? Does it make you appreciate me when we are apart?"

His answer came really quickly, no thought, just speaking.

"Well, sweetheart, you can't compare me to normal guys... I'm whipped."

It may have been his smooth talker just waltzing in to sweep me off my feet. But it just came out so easily, not rehearsed, and so honest! I couldn't even talk for a few minutes! I can only hope that those sort of answers don't wear out anytime soon!

1 comment:

Jenn Allphin said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kara and James. We look forward to seeing you later tonight. We love you and wish you were closer.