Thursday, January 21, 2010

Maybe an overreaction...

Today while I was taking a dog to the dog park, James called from the boat. He's on Duty today, so I answered while driving to explain that I couldn't talk, and that he should call me in an hour.

"Well.. We have to talk honey, I've got some bad news."

"Uh oh, What now?"

"They are probably going to make me go ride another boat."

To give some info, this essentially means that they (the Navy) would make James go help out another boat that is about to go on a deployment or an underway. Basically they would require that he leave his regular boat - which is FINALLY in port for a little while - to go out to sea again, on another boat!

I didn't have time to deal with the situation then, so I told him that I thought that sucked, and that I would talk to him about it later.

He took a few hours to call me back - and I put the time to good use, figuring out just how many ways I could get him out of it. It's not like I'm being crazy. I have waited two years to get some down time with my husband, and this stretch of time has been coveted since before we got married! The last thing I wanted was my precious time snatched away because the Navy felt like he would do more good out to sea. For the first time in my marriage, and my Navy career I wasn't going to take this sitting down. Nope, I was NOT going to agree to sending him back out to sea. If I had to chew out his chiefs, his captain, I didn't care, I was NOT going to let them take him.

When he finally did call back - our conversation went a little like this.

"Okay, honey, now what is this deal about you riding another boat?"

"Oh.. Yeah, they are probably going to make me, and Johnson (the only other married guy in the division) and Nichols - well.. probably not even him. Probably just me and Johnson out on-"

Well.. that told me all I needed to hear.

"WHY ON EARTH DID THEY CHOOSE TO SEND OUT THE ONLY TWO MARRIED GUYS?! Are they trying to break up our marriage? Are they trying to make us hate them? There are 6 other guys in your division who AREN'T married. Send one of them! This is Ridiculous! I can't believe that they would do this to us! I suffered through the whole last year alone, and maybe I wasn't clear, but it SUCKS. I EARNED this time with you."

"Uhhmm.. Wow.. you are really worked up about this."

"I AM. I'M PISSED."

"Ooookay, so, I'm going to see if there is any way to get out of this okay?"

"Thank you."

"Oh... and just so you know - it would only be a monday through friday thing. Just as a training to learn some new equipment."

"Oh. Just a week?"

"Yeah."

"Oh well... umm... You can go. Sorry - I just... I just really didn't want to go another few months or something. But a week isn't a biggie."

"... are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm fine now."

Moral of the story? Don't jump to conclusions. And sometimes the Navy ISN'T out to destroy marriages.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

HAHAHAHA! i just love you, i can totally hear you!